BY: EXECUTIVE CHEF, JUSTIN MACY
Keep your mind clear and reduce stress with healthy snacking and meals. Here are a few nourishing options that are great for brain health and mental clarity.
1. Brazil nuts are high in antioxidants, selenium and Vitamin E, which improve mood by reducing inflammation.
2.Fatty fish such as salmon, trout and sardines are high in Omega-3, a fatty acid that has a strong cognitive function for mental health.
3. Dark Chocolate is high in tryptophan, which the body uses to turn into mood-enhancing neurotransmitters, such as serotonin.
4. Eggs are an excellent source of protein and the yolks are high in vitamin D. Additionally eggs contain tryptophan, an amino acid that helps create serotonin, which improves brain function.
5. Pumpkin Seeds are an excellent source of potassium which regulates electrolyte balance and manages blood pressure. Seeds are also high in zinc, which is essential for brain, nerve development and helps to regulate emotions.
6. Green Tea contains an amino acid called theanine, which has calming effects and may increase the production of serotonin and dopamine.
7. Turmeric, also known as curcumin, is a spice that can easily be added to dishes and smoothies that helps to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress.
8. Chamomile Tea has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities and is often used for its relaxant properties.
BY: ANNA BROWN, EXECUTIVE PASTRY CHEF Mexican Wedding Cookies Regular or Vegan Ingredients: 2 ¼…Read now
BY: JUSTIN MACY, CIVANA EXECUTIVE CHEF & DEBBY LARSEN, TUCSON LIFESTYLE HOME & GARDEN EDITOR…Read now
Baking 101: Gluten Free Flours
BY: ANNA BROWN, EXECUTIVE PASTRY CHEF All-purpose flour (AP) is one of the most common…Read now