On Saturday, June 20th, the northern hemisphere will officially welcome the first day of astronomical summer known as Summer Solstice. At roughly 2:44 pm PDT, the sun will reach its northernmost point in the sky. Solstices are our planet’s longest and shortest days of the year. The Summer and Winter Solstices, along with the Autumn and Vernal Equinoxes, serve to guide us in the changing of the seasons.
And no matter how you define your spirituality, extra sunshine is always worth celebrating.
In the spirit and tradition of CIVANA’s 4 wellness pillars, we’re sharing a few at-home ways to enjoy this longest day of light.
1) MOVE: Sunrise Sun Salutation – A Guided Yoga Flow Practice
What better way to start the day than to rise with the sun? The Sanskrit term Sūrya Namaskār can be translated as a salute to the sun or sun salutation and has long been used as a symbol of consciousness. This dynamic asana sequence begins by reaching toward the sun and opening your heart to the day and gracefully brushing earth before you emerge again into the light. Be sure to take a healthy pause during Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana) and appreciate the balance this posture provides – we suggest 3-5 breaths and feel the sun against your back.
Our recommendation is to complete 20 rounds for 2020. As always, listen to your body – it knows the way.
2) SAVOR: The Taste of Summer
Morning Ritual: DIY Summer Iced Tea
Total Time: 20 Minutes
• 2-3 Rishi Black Tea bags
• 2-3 Rishi Green Tea bags
• Juice from one orange half
• Juice from one lemon half
• 4-6 oz agave syrup
• 32 oz Boiling Water
• Combine all ingredients in a large, heat-resistant pitcher.
• Let tea bags steep for 5-10 minutes and then discard.
• Stir and let chill. Serve over ice.
Afternoon Bite: Essential Summer Salad (a CIVANA favorite)
Total Time: 20-45 Minutes, depending on your personal patience.
• 4–5 cups Brussels sprouts, shredded in a food processor
• 2 cups Lacinato kale, sliced into thin strips and chopped
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan (vegan)
• 1 cup cooked rainbow quinoa
• ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
• ¼ –⅓ cup no sugar added dried cranberries
• ¾ cup pomegranate seeds
• 1 green apple, diced
Cranberry Vinaigrette Ingredients:
• 2 tbsp shallots, diced
• ½ cup olive oil
• ¼ cup no sugar added cranberry juice
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 ½ tbsp pure maple syrup
• 2 tbsp chopped parsley leaves
• ¾ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• Make the cranberry vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together.
• Toss the Brussels sprouts, kale, and quinoa in the vinaigrette and let sit for at least 10 minutes, preferably 30 minutes.
• Add parmesan, pine nuts, cranberries, pomegranate seeds, and apple and toss with kale/brussels sprouts mixture.
*Add the apple just before you are ready to serve to avoid browning. Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if needed.
Evening Turndown: Sip into SoulHour with the CIVANA 75
• 1 oz floral gin; we like Hendricks Midsummer Solstice Gin because it is bursting with fresh juniper and citrus aromas.
• .5 oz Fresh squeezed lemon Juice; our bartender’s technique is to take two lemon halves and squeeze each one with a hand juicer right into the glass.
• .5 oz Honey Syrup; Honey syrup is an easy and much healthier substitute for simple syrup. It is made by combining equal parts boiling water and honey, stir until incorporated, and chill.
• 3 oz Champagne or Sparkling Wine; Try using a Champagne with a neutral flavor profile. The lemon juice and Honey Syrup will provide all the tart and sweet flavors for the cocktail.
• Combine and mix all ingredients, except the Champagne, over ice to chill.
Strain into a Champagne Flute and top with Champagne.
3) SPA: DIY Summer Sugar Scrub featuring Basil & Lime
By now you’ve certainly implemented at least one of the ideas from CIVANA’s Spa Director, Stevie White’s list of nine ways to create a spa-like space at home. This tasty treat for your skin pulls in #4, #5, #6, AND #8. It also comes with wellness bonus points; basil is full of antioxidants and soothing properties that help protect the skin from environmental stressors.
• 2 tbs. Coconut Oil
• 6 Basil Leaves, chopped finely
• 1 C. Granulated Sugar
• 1 T. Lime zest
• Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
• Blend thoroughly, adding more oil if too dry and more salt/sugar if too wet.
• Store in an air-tight, glass container like a mason jar.
• Use in the bath or shower and massage into the skin.
• Rinse and apply with your favorite lotion.
*Pro-tip: you can use a coffee grinder to make your salt and sugar a smooth texture.
4) GROW: Soothing Sunset Sound Bath & Gong Healing
It’s been a long, beautiful day. In fact, the longest of the year. Find out what time the sun will begin setting in your area and enjoy 14 minutes of sound for your soul.
The list of benefits of sound healing is long. You are always welcome to ask us if you have questions, but for now, it’s time to relax and restore.
We recommend headphones to optimize for binaural beat health benefits. Click below to listen.
Global Wellness Day 2020
The Wellness of WE – Global Wellness Day Every day is Global Wellness Day at…Read now
10 Minute Yoga Flow Practice
Contributing Wellness Guide, Sara Quiriconi of LiveFreeWarrior.com shares this virtual, intermediate 10 minute Flow Yoga…Read now
Cardio Circuit Workout
9-27 Minutes Whether at home or on the road, get your cardio in with this…Read now