BY STEVIE WHITE, CIVANA SPA DIRECTOR
The zen-like qualities that one may receive during their healing spa service can easily be incorporated into your own home sleep ritual. Not only does quality sleep help the body to repair itself, it also helps reduce the risk of depression and the effects of stress. Here are a few tips from the Spa at CIVANA to help transform your sleep habits.
TIPS FOR FIGHTING INSOMNIA
• Set a Sleep Ritual. Create a sleep schedule with consistent times of going to bed and waking up. Incorporate meditation and deep breathing exercises before you go to sleep to allow the mind to calm. Before you rise, allow yourself to have a moment of pause where you can set your intention for the day.
• Create a Soothing Space. A conducive space for falling and staying asleep will be one without TV, your cell phone, laptop and other forms of distraction. Opt for black out blinds and breathable linens. Set the room at a temperature that you find comfortable. Keep a journal by your bed to allow you to write down things that come to mind that you can address the next day. Weighted blankets are also known to help combat stress and reduce anxiety. Pink Himalayan Salt lamps or bowls can help with the overall balance of the room, relaxes the energy and provides an extra level of calm.
• Nourish Your Body. Eliminate stimulants such as alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and try not to eat which activates your digestive system. Try herbal teas such as chamomile or valerian root. CIVANA guests are also treated to a sachet of Dream Dust, a tranquil blend of Ashwagandha, Jujube, Polgala, Schisandra and Chamonile, on their pillow at night for deep, tranquil rest.
AROMATHERAPY AND ESSENTIAL OILS FOR BETTER SLEEP
Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being. The use of aromatic essential oils has been around for thousands of years to help manage pain, improve sleep quality and reduce stress among many other benefits.
Lavender and Roman Chamomile are wonderful agents for better sleep. One used in our Medicine Garden Scrub is Spa Technologies, Anti-stress Blend Bath Oil. The combination of lavender and lemon balm (Melissa) help with mental exhaustion, anxiety and fatigue. This particular type of oil is safe to use in a bath or place 10-12 drops in a diffuser and enjoy. Blends that are safe for topical use, one can place on the inner wrists or bottom of your feet before bed. Be sure to use as directed as essential oils are very concentrated and not all are made for skin application.
NIGHTTIME SKINCARE PRODUCTS FOR RELAXATION
A few favorites used in CIVANA’s customizable Signature Spa Facial, include Spa Technologies Lavender Cleansing Milk perfect for all skin types. With soothing aloe, laminaria algae and calming lavender, is a gentle makeup remover and washes away impurities without stripping the skin’s natural protective barrier. After cleaning the skin, apply Naturopathica’s AHA Purifying Night Serum. This powerful clarifying treatment helps reduce congestion, minimizes pores and soothes the skin with aloe vera.
Pro Tip: Boost blood circulation, reduce swelling and help products penetrate the skin deeper by using a Facial Roller, such as Anda’s Sibin Bian Stone Roller, each day. Enhance the benefits of your products while helping to reduce under-eye circles and puffiness by leaving your roller in the fridge before using it!
CREATING A REPLENISHING PRE-BED BATH
You can recreate the replenishing bath that is part of CIVANA’s signature Sacred Time For Two spa service that uses Spa Technologies marine based products. Seawater contains almost identical chemistry as blood plasma, lymph and the fluids of the human body. From seawater, seaweed absorbs the same concentration of minerals and essential elements that our bodies need to survive. Seaweed is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that protect cells against environmental aggressors such as ultraviolet radiation, pollution, smoking and deficient nutrition.
1. In your warm bath, try the Sea Cal Bath Powder, which is a mineral-rich milky bath algae powder formulated with calcium, magnesium and spirulina for deep hydration and helps reduce water retention. This is the perfect food for our nervous system and helps quiet the mind.
2. During your bath, enjoy a hot water or tea made with the Naturopathica’s Passion Flower Sleep Tincture, a liquid herbal supplement made with Passionflower, Valerian Root and Ashwagandha Root, known to help improve the body’s response to stress and sleep.
3. Finish you relaxing soak by lathering your body with the silky smooth Body Hydration with Porphyra Red Algae. This light citrus-scented moisturizing body lotion contains organic seaweed, vitamins A & H, hyaluronic acid and omega 3 and 7 fatty acids that nourish and protect the skin from environmental damage.
Spa Secrets: Caring for Oily Skin
BY BRIANA RICHARDSON, CIVANA LEAD ESTHETICHIAN Chances are, you may have a complaint about your…Read now
6 Natural DIY Body Scrubs Inspired by the Medicine Wheel Spa Garden
BY STEVIE WHITE, CIVANA SPA DIRECTOR As you approach the Spa at CIVANA, you’ll see…Read now
9 Ways to Create Your Own Spa-Like Space at Home
BY STEVIE WHITE, CIVANA SPA DIRECTOR Setting the stage for a healing spa experience at…Read now